Sunday, July 22, 2018

Florida Days, Florida Nights

My last few days in Florida meant taking in family time, relaxing pool side, filling up on German baked goods and coffee and nights of live music and cocktails lakeside.  Wednesday morning, I spent time reading in the sun-room before hopping on my Momma's bike to explore a bit.  I rode around their neighborhood and stopped into the diner for coffee and Floridian waffles.  By the way, it took me fifteen minutes to find the brakes on this bike...think old-fashioned bike with the cutest basket on the front, but no handle-bar brakes which had me totally confused.  Finally, I pedalled backward, accidentally, and hello brakes.  I was thinking the whole time, this is unsafe! But, got a good laugh anyway!

That afternoon, the three of us decided to spend some time at Lake Sumter Landing in The Villages.  Think quaint seaside village with a colorful waterfront, boats running on Cherry Lake and people gathering to enjoy a night on the square.  The famous lighthouse and sunken boat are two landmarks you don't want to miss.  We made our way to grab a bite to eat and enjoy happy hour and live music with a gorgeous lake view.  Lake Sumter offers many dining options, boutique-style shopping, and nightly entertainment all year long.  There is a reason The Villages is one of the fastest growing cities.  After filling up on coconut shrimp and fruity cocktails with oranges...because in Florida, you have to have oranges...we wandered around enjoying the perfect evening.

The next morning, and my final day in Florida, I had to make the usual stop at Yalaha Bakery.  The patio is always open here so we enjoyed iced coffee and baked goods, with a box of cookies to-go.  A quick stroll through downtown Leesburg before hitting up the pool for a little sunshine and relaxation.  Views of palm trees and marshland make this saltwater pool even more enjoyable.  A few hours of sun and we made our way one last time around the Plantation via golf cart, because that's how you roll here.  I made sure to have one more helping of my Momma's lasagna before I was packed up and headed back to the airport to catch my flight home.  

As I sat in the airport I had time to really think about this get-a-way.  Of course I enjoyed the day at the beach, hiking, and taking a swim in the springs but really, just time with them was the best.  Our nightly golf cart rides around the Plantation, taking Dodger on his morning walk, breakfast and dinner together, mornings and evenings in the sun-room or just being lazy watching a movie.  And it hit me, I was sad to leave but I'll be back Florida.  Flight already booked.  













See You Soon Florida Oranges 🍊
Shona

Follow Me ↠
Travel IG: http://www.instagram.com/dirtroadshighheels
Personal IG: http://www.instagram.com/shonamhouston
Sign up for blog emails here: http://www.thedirtroadshighheels.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment