Saturday, July 7, 2018

Taking In Those Colorado Views, Solo.

Thursday morning, it's sunny at 7 a.m. and the there is a slight chill in the air.  I was anxious to get the day started!  I had plans to spend the day hiking at Garden of the Gods and no plans from there, but to rather just wander around experiencing new places. 

But, first things first, I had to get my oil changed as I was down to about 5% on my journey West. Fortunately I knew of a place since I had the same instance on my visit last year! The Kansas tag confused them when I said I had been there one year ago, but regardless, it was a quick 20-min. appointment and I was on my way to adventure.  Included with that was a free car wash, which I found out later would come in handy.

Onto my first destination, Garden of the Gods. I arrived by 9 a.m. and made quick stop to the Visitors Center to pick up a trail map.  The guide was extremely helpful and since I was there so early, routed me to the main parking area so I would have easy access to the trails.  I guess I looked like an experienced "hiker", it must have been the Osprey pack, so he made sure to point out the more difficult and lengthier hikes. He was very informative and pointed out the sites that he and his wife liked to see, which I appreciated.

If you haven't been to Garden of the Gods, go.  It is simply breathtaking.  The hikes are perfect for people of all skill levels, and if you can handle the higher elevations, the views are incredible.  Central Garden has numerous, towering red rocks, with shapes that keep your eye from wandering.  I found myself becoming enthralled with the amount of character these rocks have to offer; they are pieces of art.  Next I headed to a shorter trail, a 1.5 mile loop...and halfway up, the formation known as the Siamese Twins.  Two equal towers with an opening in the middle, perfectly framing American's Mountain, Pikes Peak.  This was my absolute favorite so far.  I decided to find a spot to relax, open my pack, hydrate, write, and take in the view before moving on to Balanced Rock.  This would be my final experience here and when I arrived, there were people everyone; taking photos, posing, or just viewing it's massive size.  I waited, patiently, until I was able to snap the perfect photo; not a single human or vehicle in the background.  This was definitely a great experience.  I do recommend getting there early, to avoid the crowds and the heat!

Next stop; Rampart Reservoir.  Well, so I thought. As I made my way to Woodland Park, I was directed to a 4 way dirt-road intersection.  My GPS said to go East on Schubarth Trail, so I did.  I like to call this the "road less traveled" or at least the road not suitable for my car.  I made my way slowly, almost the entire way, when it said I would have to park and walk to my final destination. I turned around as I had that feeling it probably wasn't the best idea for me to be here solo and felt a bit uneasy, a rare feeling for me.  As I made my way back, I realized at that intersection, I should have gone South.  However, it wasn't a total waste of time, I managed to snap some great photos. This is where the car wash came in handy!

From there, I decided to head to Pikes Peak Hwy where I knew I could see the beauty of the mountains and imagined the reflections of the Colorado nature as I hiked along the North and South Catamount Reservoirs.  I made my way up the curvy highway; capturing the amazing views of the water and taking in the fresh mountain air.

As my solo day of exploring came to an end, I made a quick stop in Old Colorado City for a bit of shopping and wanted to grab a bite to eat.  I decided on Pizzaria Rustica for two reasons, they had a patio and a local brew menu.  I ordered up the Pagliasotti which was meant for sharing but I managed to clean my plate, while quenching my thirst with the amber lager, Colorado Native.













That's what I call a good day!
Shona

Follow Me ↠

No comments:

Post a Comment