Monday, July 9, 2018

It's the Zoo and Waterfalls too 🌲

You know those places you visit over and over and never get tired of seeing? Well, for me, it's the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Before I get into the animals, I wanted to share some facts that I think we can all appreciate!  In the Summer of 2019, "Making Waves" will open; a new home for the hippos, penguins, and giant tortoises.  This new exhibit features a water recycling system that is environmentally friendly and will help local water conservation. The zoo is committed to not only the exhibition and conservation of endangered animal species, they are also a green business. CMZ also participates in Q4C, Quarters for Conservation, and have raised over 1M since 2008 for field conservation.  And did you know that CMZ is one of only a handful of zoos in the US that does not receive any tax support, but is rather funded by donations, dues, admissions, and grants. That's a win win for everyone!

Ok, let's talk animals! We all know the giraffes are my favorite; I seriously need to work on getting the exhibit to myself, I could spend hours with them!  Feeding them lettuce leaves, which they love, is a great way to get up close and personal too! Fortunately for me, a late morning shower cleared guests from the area so I was able to get a bit more one on one time before leaving!  My next mission, the sloths.  As it started to sprinkle, I noticed a sloth outside that had been "hanging" around but decided the raindrops weren't for him, and as quick as a sloth can move, made his way back inside. Check out my video below; I believe it was probably his record speed!

This zoo allows for many animals to be free-range; for instance, in the Australian Walkabout, the Wallabies roam around freely.  There are magpies, peacocks, and the bald eagles are a site to see.  The monkeys are well, monkeys and I love how the moose stands there looking at you all judgy.  I always look forward to visiting here, besides, it's the only zoo on the side of a Mountain, so why wouldn't you?

On Sunday we decided to visit Seven Falls, located near The Broadmoor. It's the only waterfall in Colorado that made National Geographic's list of International Waterfalls and has been named the Grandest Mile of Scenery in Colorado. The one mile walk is surrounded by lush green pine trees and towering red rocks.  The crystal clear water runs from the Pikes Peak watershed and is what has shaped this beautiful canyon.  For those wanting to climb to higher elevation, you can take the 224 step staircase which leads to hiking trails and the banks of the stream that feeds the fall.  For the more adventurous, there is a soaring zip-line above the falls which include numerous rope bridges.  Def. a must see!



 








Lovely Colorado
Shona

Follow Me ↠
Travel IG: http://www.instagram.com/dirtroadshighheels
Personal IG: http://www.instagram.com/shonamhouston
Sign up for blog emails here: http://www.thedirtroadshighheels.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment