Tuesday, July 10, 2018

13.2...Minus The Bumper Sticker

You guys! I recently just finished my 4th half-marathon in Colorado and I am super excited to share this story with you!  Last year I had knee and hip issues...let's face it, I am in my 30's...ok, closer to hitting 40, but I was on a mission to continue running this race.  The Slacker Half Marathon has a special place in my heart.  It was my FIRST ever half marathon and it's in the beautiful state of Colorado.

I have been preparing for this race with physical therapy since November 2017.  Strengthening areas around my knees so that maybe when I ran this year, I wouldn't feel like I was going to die at the end! I began running only about 6 weeks prior to the race.  I started with an easy 4 miles and there was zero pain.  I think the PT paid off!  Plus, I was on a mission to better my time.  Last year was the worst time I have ever had, so I knew I had to kick it in to get my PR.

Race day!  It was a cool 39 degrees which for me is actually the perfect temperature.  The skies were clear, the sun was shining, and I just had a feeling this year was going to be the bomb.  I started in the first heat as always and my Colorado bestie was right beside me cheering me on the starting line.  I wish I could explain the view this race gives you; the Rocky Mountains, waterfalls, crystal clear streams, towering pine trees, and blue skies.  I don't think I will ever run a half marathon anywhere else...for me, it's about running in nature and taking in the fresh Colorado air.  Speaking of air, people always ask if that altitude bothers me, it doesn't. I don't know why, but let's face it, that is one less thing that I have to worry about.

Almost 6 miles in and I was making record time.  But also at 6 miles hits what I call the "hill from hell" and I always struggle with it.  Once I get past that, I am golden!  At mile 9, they are offering gummy bears and I may or may not have taken 2 cups of them...but this is when I just know I am almost to the end! Four miles to go and my adrenaline kicks into high gear. At this point it's about 60 degrees but feels much hotter as the sun is shining down on you.

As I rounded the last corner of the race sporting my KC shirt from Made Urban Apparel, I was jamming to Tech N9ne, and knew I was going to beat my goal time.
Time 2:27:37. I placed 656the overall, 71st in my age category, and 378th in my gender position.  I'll take it!!

Now, where's the beer? It's at Guanella Pass Brewery, that's where.  After the race, Alec and I headed to grab some local brews in Georgtown, which is where the race ends.  Opening at 11, we were first to get in and grabbed a seat on the patio.  Joined by Parker the Snow Dog, a one-year old Bernese mountain dog that I have been following on IG and who is a frequent guest at the brewery, even has a beer named after him.  Parker and his owner Dustin are well known in the Georgetown are so it was cool to meet them.  He has been named the Breweries Ski Dog, is the Loveland Ski Area Mascot and is frequently seen with the Broncos. Not to brag, but I was the first person from KC to have their pic with Parker, just throwin' that out there!  The brewery owner stopped by to say hi and everyone there was super friendly and helpful.  Parker even took the time to pose for a few photos, shades and all.

Take the time to explore the gorgeous little mountain town of Georgetown.  Be sure to stop into Guanella Pass Brewery; I recommend the Raspberry Blond, Season Pass Pale Ale, the Kataka Mountain IPA, and the Bernese Mountain Brown Ale. It's Parker approved!











Cheers to running and cheers to beer!
Shona

Follow Me ↠
Travel IG: http://www.instagram.com/dirtroadshighheels
Personal IG: http://www.instagram.com/shonamhouston
Sign up for blog emails here: http://www.thedirtroadshighheels.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment