Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sun, Sand, and Dive-Bombing Seagulls

I'll do just about anything to get to the beach...a two hour drive with two of my favorite people just to see and feel the salt filled ocean and sand between my toes.  We decided on Clearwater Beach since neither of us had been there and since it's supposed to be one of the best in Florida, we headed out early to spend the day soaking up the sun.  Besides, I had already checked out the places to eat and found the cutest little joint just two blocks off the beach.

After finding rock-star parking, we found our perfect spot for the day and set up. Three beach towels, one umbrella, lot of sunscreen, snacks and water...because they don't allow "drinks" on the public beaches. But don't worry, we took care of that beforehand.  The water was the perfect temperature, not too hot or cold and I found that most people spent their time there.  It was nice to lay out for a while but the salt water was too nice to pass up...and the views of passing sailboats was just the view I needed.

But then this happened.  As we were eating our cheese, crackers, grapes and pineapple...because I can't imagine eating anything else at the beach, the seagulls started to surround us.  Almost as if they were talking to each other, like..."these people have food, get here quick before it runs out."  At first, no big deal...and then it happened.  Out of no where, one dive-bombed down and took the cheese right of Shelli's hand..as in beak-to-hand and I have never seen her jump up so fast in my life.  Apparently there was one hovering over my head but I was laughing so hard at what had just happened I had no clue.  Literally one of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life and apparently everyone else around us found it just as funny.  And so that was the end of lunch...it was either that or Shelli wasn't going to return to the beach towels...she hates birds.  

After gaining our composure and spending a few hours at the beach, we wandered around the local shops before hitting up Pearly's, which was perfect timing too...as it started to downpour right when we got there.  Seriously the cutest little beach bar, all outside seating, surfboard tables, bright orange and teal chairs and serving local beer.  We opted to share the Gnarly Nachos and a Blackened Fish Taco and I tried the Clearwater Honeycream Ale, which was perfect for a sunny/rainy/humid afternoon.  On the way out we stopped by Whiskey Joe's, it was Happy Hour...and enjoyed a few cocktails on their outside patio before heading to their Beach Bar where you could enjoy more ocean views with your feet in the sand.


















A day on the water is always a good day.
Until next time Clearwater Beach...keep the seagulls at bay. 
Shona


No comments:

Post a Comment