Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Loveland Ski Area --> Georgetown By Way of Running

I do it for the view, seriously! This run, although called the Slacker Half Marathon, isn't as easy as it may sound.  It is mostly flat with some downhill running, but there are definite inclines too!  The race starts at Loveland Ski Area, an altitude of 10,800 feet and ends at Georgtown, an altitude of 8,530 feet.  Thirteen.1 miles of the most beautiful scenery....and even though you are running along the highway in the last 3-4 miles, it's not a bad site to see!  Besides, at that point, you know you are almost done!

This year I did not hit my personal best, but I finished the race and was still walking so there's that. The air is thin but that isn't what gets me.  I feel better running in that altitude than I do here in Kansas.  Besides that, the temperature was in the upper 50's at the starting line, so it was perfect weather.  I started having trouble with my knee last year before running but decided to still go for it and last year I hit my PR and was extremely happy considering I was having some pain while running.  The doctor said I should probably have an MRI, a likely small tear that could easily be fixed, but I chose to put that off....

This year, at Mile 4, both knees were shooting pain up and down each leg.  I knew then it wasn't going to be my best race or time.  I stopped when I needed too, but kept going and crossed the finished line regardless.  At Mile 9, besides them handing out gummy bears which I savored as long as I could, I knew I had 4 miles to go but it was going to be tough. And at Mile 12, I really thought I was going to have to walk the rest of the way.  Lesson learned, guess who's getting her knee's checked out? This girl...otherwise I know my running career is over.  And I'm not done running so I guess I better make that appointment.

Anyway, did I mention I do it for the views? Besides, all of the food they hand out afterward. I also have a tradition to stop by the cutest little bakery, The Cake Bakery, to reload with some carbs and their refreshing Mountain-Berry lemonade. I always get a chocolate croissant, but this year, the blackberry scone was calling my name! It didn't last long!

We finished that day with a trip to Manitou, a quick game of horse racing where somehow I managed to place 1st...Horse #4, thanks for playing! I handed off my winning tickets as we left to head to the The Loop for their famous Margaritas.  It was a good day...other than at this point, I could barely walk!  Thank you to my Colorado Bestie and baby Cohen for driving me to and from the race and supporting me the whole way through!  






















11 Months to June 2018!! I think I better plan on making it 4 years and Running!
Shona


No comments:

Post a Comment