Sunday, March 31, 2019

Another Stamp in my Passport

Bandelier National Monument, part of the US National Park Service, contains more than 33,000 acres of protected rugged but beautiful canyon and mesa land.  Located near Los Alamos, this site preserves the homes and territory of the Ancestral Puebloans who once lived here. I knew when I booked this get-a-way, this was the one place we would want to explore and hike.  If there is one thing you need to do in New Mexico, it's visit here.

History lesson: The Native Americans made this their home from 1150 CE to 1550 CE. Their dwellings were built in the soft rock that were formed from the eruption of the massive Jemez Volcano over 1 million years ago; this was 600x more powerful than the Mount St. Helens eruption.  Deposited ash hundreds of feet thick was then compressed into soft rock called Tuff.  Frijoles Canyon was formed from the waters of Frijoles Creek over thousands of years. The slopes on the sides of Valles Caldera, the collapsed cone of the Jemez Volcano, are known as the Pajarito Plateau.  This was home to Native Americans for thousands of years, Ice Age hunters 10,000 years ago and the first Pueblo dwellers. The presence of the latest inhabitants can still be felt here as you will see first hand the Petroglyphs, cave dwellings, and stone masonry walls that still exist today.

We decided to hike the Main trail loop and take it a bit further to the Alcove House.  The Alcove House, formerly known as Ceremonial Cave is located 140 feet above the canyon.  Once home to roughly 25 Puebloans, this site can only be reached by four wooden ladders and a number of stone stairs. There is a reconstructed kiva and a number of niches of former homes once you make it to the top. If you know anything about me, you know I do have a fear of heights.  But, I knew I had to experience this magnificent piece of history and the views of the canyon from the Alcove made it all worth the climb.  I couldn't have done without the BF, he made sure to be patient with me and guide me down the ladders one step at a time.  Besides conquering this, we had visited the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge earlier that morning, so needless to say, I had my max of height-related activities for the day!

Bandelier National Monument is one of the coolest places I have ever scene.  This history of this location and imagining those who once lived here is incredible.  It really took me back to a time that I can't even imagine living, a time we will never know.























So happy to have another stamp in my National Park Passport book!
Shona

Follow Me ↠ #kcgypsea

No comments:

Post a Comment