Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Ozark National Forest + The Creepy Cat

Sunday morning, we packed up the car and headed North out of Ouachita on Hwy 27 towards our next camping destination in the Ozark National Forest.  The drive was loaded with curves and hills but the views were again, gorgeous.  Not having set plans on where to camp, we decided to just figure it out when we got there.  We made a quick stop to pick up some gas station snacks and a bottle of water...which is where I found out that on Sunday's, Arkansas is a dry state. Wait, what? The clerk must have thought at first that bottle of water was a beer because that's when he told me, no beer on Sunday's.  That is when I realized we polished off what we had yesterday...

We made our way across Lake Dardanelle and made a quick stop in Clarksville to pick up a few groceries.  Of course on the way I was googling the state laws, sure enough, dry state.  We decided to ask a local, who informed us that just one county over, they have the permit to sell on Sunday.  Altus, here we come.  Made sense too as we drove through the popular German-Swiss town which houses many of the wineries of Arkansas, ...it's our lucky day!  After given a few recommendations on where to camp, we left town on Hwy 64 making the next North on Pig Trail Scenic Byway.  We passed a few camping areas but were lead back to a small, secluded area.  We drove the circle and decided to set up at campsite #10, Redding Recreational Area would be our home for the next two days. 

With only one other couple camping and few daytime fisherman, this place was definitely going to be quiet.  We introduced ourselves to the couple a few spots over, a very nice elderly man and woman, sitting near the fire each reading a book while cooking their dinner in a cast iron pot.  Retired and living the camper life.  The BF had to run up to Turner Bend for bit more firewood as we were having trouble finding enough, so I finished setting up camp, took a few camp photos, and decided to go ahead and start the fire. He was hestitent to leave me there alone but I had Lola and a firearm and a hatchet and a knife, I'll be fine I said.  I've seen Walking Dead. 

Remember that couple I mentioned, they made their way down about an hour later and asked us if we had something warm to eat, that they had leftover stew we could have.  We thanked them, but we had just made chili and for tonight's menu, chili-dogs and of course, s'mores.  I often wonder what they may have said about two "younger" people tent camping in the middle of nowhere.  I wonder if they themselves used to be like us, adventuring and continuing to this day. 

After dinner, it was already dark so each wearing our headlamps, we prepared to settle in front of the fire for a night of card games.   Then I saw them, two little green eyes staring back at me...what the hell? I imagined it was an opossum, but as I marched closer I realized  it was just a house cat, thankfully black AND white, and I hissed it away, literally.  But it didn't stay away. All night, that creepy little furr-ball would sneak to different areas of our camp, only backing off when we scared it away.  It was so quiet, you never even heard the leaves wrestling as it came closer.  Our conversations turned to why this cat wouldn't stay away...was it a sign? Did something happen here? Are we safe? Seriously, this was not a place I would stay without protection, just in case...you know, bears or bigger cats...and then the tree which looked as if a snake had made its stake there, see pic below.  Did I mention this place was dark...I mean no lights at all, except the bath house which was a distance away and you had to make your way through the trees.

To no surprise, neither one of us slept well. We had a plan though...firearm, right boot, me with the key fob in case I needed to hit the panic button...I giggle as I write this.  Better safe than sorry.  That night was cold too...we were in a valley so although the temperature was about 40', it felt much colder.  The only sounds heard were coyotes and owls...all night long. The owls would go back and forth, eventually interrupting each other and as I laid there awake listening, I thought to myself, how rude.

The next morning, the BF got the fire going and he cooked breakfast sausage and biscuits and gravy and as the sun came out it was starting to warm up.  We made coffee and hot tea and sat down to put in a few games of dominoes.  We walked around the camp ground and down the the Mulberry River which was crystal clear and the reflections of the pine trees across the river were stunning.  We waved goodbye to our neighbors as they headed on their way before packing up our camp and heading back to Kansas.  It was a great get-a-way and we are already planning our next camping adventure.













 






Mountain Couple Adventures In Arkansas🌲
Shona 


No comments:

Post a Comment