Monday, March 6, 2017

Make Your Own Rules

This subject is a touchy one but I am going to address it anyways...after all, that's what I intended this blog to be, those little thoughts running through my head, to address anyone who may not have a clear understanding of who I am....and so much more. Sometimes I just get the feels to share beyond travels and adventures!

I get asked this question a lot. "Will you ever get married again?" My initial response to those people, "No"...and they always seem so shocked by that answer.  I have been asked this ever since my divorce, which was two years ago.  It used to piss me off that people always go to "that" question. But now, I answer them straight up.  Ask and you shall receive.

Honestly, I don't know if I need that again, I never say never so who knows! I am not for or against it.  And by that I mean, the legal piece of paper that is tied to marriage.  Am I opposed to marriage and what it means to people, absolutely not.  I think it is great but that doesn't mean I have to have it to be just as loved or in a relationship that is just as committed as those who have it.  I have had many a discussion about this with people who don't agree with me and with those who do.  People have gotten pissed off, but I am guessing it's because I shared light on the subject and my beliefs weren't what is deemed "normal" in our society.  But guess what, there is no right or wrong.  Society, families, traditions, religion, or whatever it may be, has lead a lot of us if not most to believe that marriage is a part of life.  I mean, I believed it and went through the steps myself.  You meet someone, fall in love, marriage, a life, possibly children.  That's a whole different subject.  But life happens and maybe you get divorced, maybe you live and learn and maybe your thoughts change about the whole subject. Does that make you wrong? Hell no and if someone thinks you are, well, that's their problem, not yours.

Being engaged, that represents that you are getting married, that you are in a relationship, right? But what about having that symbol to just represent commitment...and I don't mean it's "just" a commitment, that's a huge and very important part of being in a relationship!  I actually love the idea of having something to represent being committed to someone...but again, that is something you can decide. Maybe it is a ring but maybe you wear it on a non-traditional finger, maybe it's a tattoo, maybe it's nothing but knowing you have that special place in your partners heart. Here's the thing, we can make our own rules...and that doesn't mean we just exclude marriage and do what society tells us how it should be.  Make your own rules!

I had a recent convo regarding this topic in the parking lot of Aldi...sometimes the best discussions happen in the car anyway.  It really lead me to wanting to discuss this and share my thoughts and feelings on the subject.  I had debated it for while, probably because I was worried about what people may think, but I realized it's perfectly normal to not think like everyone else.  And I know not everyone will agree and that's ok, but regardless, I make my own rules. And whatever those are, I am sure I will be just as happy as anyone else.



As the picture reveals, I am living and loving life and making my own rules, one day at a time.
Shona

No comments:

Post a Comment