Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Manatees + Florida Springs

After arriving in Florida at midnight, renting a car and driving 45 minutes to get to my Mom's place and barely being able to sleep that night, I was up early and ready for my solo day of adventuring. I left mid-morning and headed to a place in Florida called Crystal River.  I was there for three things; the nature, the wildlife, and the hiking.  After arriving at this off-the-beaten-path wildlife refuge, known for it's manatees and gorgeous springs, I took off wandering through the wet-lands and making my way to the boardwalks that wind around the beautiful blue-green colored water. It was a warmer day today so the manatees were mostly in the canal, and it's mating season, so they were busy anyway. But there was one lone manatee located in the center of it all and I like to think he was there for me.  After spending a couple of hours wandering around and talking to the local volunteers, I hiked my way around the refuge and back to the car.  I was off to my next destination, known as Hunter Springs.

I spent a hour perched under a lone palm tree, taking in the warm sun that was shining down.  Hunter Springs is a cozy smaller beach and although it's man-made, it's a nice place to enjoy a picnic, cool off in the springs of Kings Bay, or launch a kayak or paddle-board. After my hour of paid parking timed out, I was on my way back to the Plantation. I took the long way, driving though the Citrus Wildlife Management Area aka Withlacoochee Forest.  The winding roads decorated by large trees covered in moss, and through the smaller Central Florida towns, offered some cool sites to see.

My Mom and I decided to grab a quick bite to eat before heading off to play a nightly round of Pickleball. My only stipulations were eating outside and by the water; Boondocks on Little Lake Harris offered both.  We enjoyed peach mimosa's and I had to try the California Blood Orange IPA made by 21st Amendment Brewery. This cute little joint was the perfect spot to enjoy a late lunch with lake views just steps away; the fish and corn fritters weren't bad either.  It was a perfect day in Florida.











Tuesdays in Florida :)
Shona

Follow Me ↠ #kcgypsea

No comments:

Post a Comment