Friday, January 6, 2017

Baltimore and Hotdogs At The White House

After leaving Philadelphia, we made our way to Baltimore. We would be staying at the Inner Harbor and first things first, dinner reservations for fresh seafood!  We found a spot just around the Harbor that had gorgeous views of the water and amazing yachts...yachts we tried to sneak onto just to see them more up close.  Ok, not really, but it did cross our minds.  After dinner, we found ourselves in what appeared to be a very popular place called the Cat's Eye Pub in Fell's Point to listen to live music and throw back a few beers. Rock-a-billy at it's finest.  It had a history too...it opened in 1975 and the son took over the pub once his father passed away and it seems he has continued to make it a success.

The next day, we ventured over to the Inner Harbor to grab some lunch and to our surprise it happened to be Fleet Week.  After a quick bite at Tir Na Nog, we had time to explore a bit more. Besides a beer garden with local cans to quench our thirst and more live music, the Blue Angels made their appearance and it was one of the coolest shows I have ever seen.  Did I mention the people? People everywhere but it was a gorgeous fall day and the perfect place to be at that very moment.  After spending hours around the Harbor, we were on to D.C.

We checked into The Kimpton Rouge Hotel in the heart of D.C.  This boutique hotel is hip with red accents and with the most unique mini-bar I've seen, I highly recommend staying there if you are in the area. That evening we had dinner plans with my boyfriend's cousin and his partner...and to be honest I was a nervous wreck!  We uber'd our way to their lovely row home in D.C. and had pre-dinner cocktails while getting a tour of their spectacular living space.  For dinner, we dined on Tapas at Tico, a local place they wanted to share with us. It was fabulous.  Post dinner, more cocktails at a place very special to our two hosts, the place they had their reception after getting married.  The evening was perfect.

Then next morning, my last day for vacation, we made our way to see the White House...we decided it was something we had to do while there.  After parking and ordering hot dogs from a street truck, it's America, what else would we be eating at the White House...we made our way into the park.  I am not sure what I was expecting, something more elaborate I guess, but we followed the path to where the crowd of people were.  We saw, we took a photo, we left.  Did I mention we saw the Pentagon on the way to the airport too? Check and check.

As we said our goodbyes, we loaded some of the books we purchased in Phillie into my bag, which made it 5 lbs. over.  Don't worry sir...I am a professional, let me rearrange...done, no overweight baggage charge for this girl!  As I sat in the airport drinking an over-priced Mojito waiting on my flight, I was thankful for the trip I had just experienced with him.























Another adventure in the books.
Shona

No comments:

Post a Comment