Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Real Talk, Real Me.

Time for real talk today...

Sometimes you just have to think about how far you have come, what you are capable of, how strong you are, and that generally most people are good people, even great people.  I have met some amazing people since moving to this place I love to call home, Kansas City.  I have also realized a great deal about myself and have done things in the past year that I never would have thought possible or even attempted.  Lucky for you, I will share what I now call, living.

  • I made it into Nursing School. After leaving my Orthodontic job after 9 years which was preceded by a 6 year banking career in 3 different cities, I applied to go back to school.  Ok, so maybe I am still doing a little work at the Ortho Office, but Nursing is my passion.  I have managed to not flunk out, have a job, and a social life.  I have learned to study, a lot.  I once thought that I was too old for this. Too old? I have only just begun. 


  • I moved, twice.  How is this a feat you say? Well, just ask my Dad and Sister who always seem to be the ones who get the pleasure of helping me.  I have managed to go from a four-bedroom house to an over-sized one-bedroom apartment with attached garage in the over priced Johnson County area to my River Market one-bedroom loft with concrete floors, a shared garage, and the smallest closet you have ever scene.  Who needs all that "stuff" anyway? I have realized what is important and kept only that.  Could I use a separate room for shoes? What girl couldn't?  But guess what, where I am works, and it came at just the right time. 


  • I ran my second half marathon, I almost died from knee pain. But my time was much faster than last year so there's that. Moving on. 


  • I took a road trip, alone. I drove out to Colorado this past summer to visit a good friend and also "see #3 above".  People were shocked that I was driving and by myself.  I looked at it like this...8 hours of alone time, thinking about whatever I wanted too, listening to whatever I wanted too, stopping at Starbucks, whenever I wanted too.  It was one of the best adventures I chose to take. 


  • While waiting on a friend for dinner in Denver, I went into a Amato's Ale House, ALONE. What?? No way in h-e-l-l would I have done that even two years ago.  I walked my orange-wedge-wearing booty right up to the bar, sat on the end, and had two amazing local beers that the bartenders recommended.  The food was good too and the company, when she arrived, was even better.  


  • I went and ate at a restaurant. You guessed it, alone.  I had some free time to kill one day between appointments and decided, no time like the present.  My Mom has told me for years that she has no problem doing this, I always said, never. Never say never. 


  • I have reached out to local KC folks and been given many opportunities because of it.  Whether it be volunteer work, photo shoots, or showing off fashion on the news, it has led to good things which has led to great people and many new friendships. 


  • I learned to paddle board which seemed to come pretty natural to me, spent a lot of time at the lake and went camping more than usual.  Sometimes getting out of the city is good for your soul. 


  • I have managed to keep blogging and attended my first Go Blog Social Event and was invited by The Blog Guild recently to attend a Makeup Mastery Event at Macy's. 


  • I sang at a Nursing home with my super talented step-dad Phil and also recorded my rendition of a song by Foo Fighters.  #bigstep


  • I have traveled. Vegas, Dallas, Iowa, Tulsa, Denver, Colorado Springs, Georgetown, Fort Worth, Dominican Republic, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington DC. I am beyond thankful for those who made some of these adventures possible.  It's not always about the actual adventure, but rather the person who you choose to adventure with. 

Some of these things are simple, some are not.  I have found myself, finally.  Hey, isn't that what your 30's are for? Don't get me wrong, it's always a work in progress but it always should be.


Find your power...
Shona



No comments:

Post a Comment